Thursday, October 13, 2016

The Power of Your word and its Impact on Your Results, by Michelle Shimmin of Shimmin Consulting


Recently on a flight to Los Angeles, I spent a long time pondering what was different about the message the flight crew sent during their initial overhead announcement as they declared, “We have now started our food and beverage service.” The end of this announcement went something like this … “We do not accept cash.” This is the same announcement I’ve heard multiple times each week as I travel from city to city. But what was different about today’s announcement? Then it hit me. The announcement is usually a happy voice stating that “we are a cashless cabin” as they then proceed to talk about their food and beverage service. The simple variation in the same message, that airplanes do not accept cash, left me feeling very, very different. When I heard that this airplane did not accept cash, I initially thought, “Well that’s not very customer-service oriented”. Whereas, the message I’ve heard many times before has never left me feeling this way. I’ve often thought how progressive the airline is in today’s day and age of increased technology … “We are a cashless cabin”. Think about it. It is the same message – you have to use a credit card if you are going to purchase food or drink. However, the impact the difference in verbiage had was significant in how I felt.

Similarly, I completed a training call with a Treatment Coordinator earlier today where we discussed the differences your words have in influencing your patient’s and how they feel.  The example we role-played was the process of presenting a financial investment (fee quote) to her patients and how, when you are offering an option of a ‘pay in full courtesy’ – the impact of your words, in how this is stated, can have a dramatically different result. In this example, I had witnessed the words, “a slight savings if you paid in full”. Think about the greater impact this Treatment Coordinator would have in the patient’s thought process if the statement went something like this, “And we have an additional, significant savings available to you, if you choose to pay your portion in full.” Is it an additional savings? Yes. What defines significant? A $200 savings is significant to many people. Do you see the difference in how each sentence is stated?


Visit my website to learn more about how a practice consultant can change your practice, help you reach goals both financially and within your team. Read our patient testimonials, learn about our proven practice programs, scripting and individualized position training for every member on your team. Make the decision to take new action today, with Shimmin Consulting by your side!

2 comments:

  1. I like the way you have explained how to handle your practice. This is really useful blog for me. Thanks for sharing this blog. Keep sharing. Dental Practice Management

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is true that our business is depend on how we represent our business and our services. This is the great blog you have shared with us. Thanks for sharing this blog. I like the idea you have shared. Orthodontist Practice ManagemenT

    ReplyDelete